The overall objective of the assignment was to identify,
in consultation with all the stakeholders, the contribution that the EC could make to an ASEAN Statistical Capacity Building Programme
, in order to:
- Strengthen the statistical capacity of ASEC and Member Countries;
- Produce more accurate and reliable figures in: Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, Health, Education and Non Observed Economy;
- Facilitate ASEAN regional integration.
More specifically, the specific objectives of the project were to:
- Prioritise and assess the statistical needs of ASEAN in the field of economics (including Foreign Direct Investment and exhaustiveness of the National Accounts), trade, health, education and other social sectors,
- Strengthen the capacity of ASEAN institutions to formulate and evaluate regional integration policies based on the use of reliable and relevant statistical data collected in-house,
- Increase the statistical collection and analysis capacity of regional (ASEC) and national statistical offices (NSI) and enhance general co-operation and homogeneity of data between these offices in the selected fields,
- Improve regional statistics in the key areas of the AFTA, FDI and other selected fields,
- Improve the functioning and quality of output of both national statistical offices and the ASEC,
- Harmonise the statistical methodology between ASEAN countries and between ASEAN and EU, and
- Allow for an exchange of data between the EU and ASEAN, especially on trade data as a basis for a dialogue on economics and trade.